ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT COVID-19
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
APRIL (Month of the Military Child)
30 Wear Purple in Appreciation of a Military Child
1 Progress Reports Released via FACTS SIS.
4 Professional Development Day. No classes for students
4-8 Teacher Appreciation Week
10 Mother’s Day
11 Professional Development Day. No classes for students
18 Professional Development Day. No classes for students
25 Memorial Day – No Classes
29 Last Day of Online Classes for 8th Grade Students
3 Last Day of School fro PK-7th Grade. NOON Dismissal
4 Teacher Work Day
5 Teacher Work Day. Report Cards Released via FACTS SIS
21 Father’s Day
- April is designated as the Month of the Military Child – A time to honor the sacrifices and experience made by children of military members serving at home and overseas. Purple is a color used to represent all military services, the theme “Purple Up” is used over the course of the month. As we are a Purple Star Designated School, let’s show our support by wearing PURPLE on Thursday, April 30. Send pictures to Mrs. French at firstname.lastname@example.org so she can share them on Facebook.
- Progress Reports – Reports will be released on Friday, May 1 . Please review your child’s progress report. Low grades during Quarter 4, may be the result of missing assignments or tests. Students and Parents/Guardians can email teachers about any missing assignments or tests that need to be completed.
- Catholic High School – New and Interested Families, Catholic High School is still taking applications for admission and financial aid…find out more about CHS during their COFFEE with the CRU on Wednesdays and CRU CHAT on Thursdays. Please contact email@example.com
for the links!COFFEE with the CRU (adults) CRU CHAT (students)Wednesday, May 6 7:00 p.m. Thursdays starting April 30thWednesday, May 13 9:00 a.m. Freshman 2:00 p.m.Wednesday, May 20 4:00 p.m. New Upperclassmen 4:00 p.m.
Teacher Appreciation Week – National Teacher Appreciation Week is a week-long celebration the first week of May in recognition of teachers and the contributions they make to education and society. We are now on Week 5 of mandatory social distancing, which means Week 5 of digital learning. Parents have now become “instant” teachers and now have a deeper appreciation for what our teachers do on a regular school day. This year because of social distancing, we won’t be having class parties, serving lunch to the teachers, or filling up the teacher’s lounge with treats. BUT, we can still celebrate all the hard work by showing our SPX love and support. Please click here to show your support, Teacher Appreciation Week. Event sponsored by Home & School.
- Student Supplies – A date and time in May will be set for Families to come and pick up their child’s supplies, graduation gowns, yearbooks, and return textbooks. More information on dates and times will be sent out by email. If there is something that your child needs or you will be doing a military transfer before the schedule date, please contact the School Office by phone or email.
- Distant Learning Follow-up Survey – The survey is still open for feedback. We ask that you please complete the Digital Learning Follow-up Survey by Friday, May 1 to allow us to continue to work and explore new ideas to improve online education for our students, families, faculty and staff. Your feedback is important to us. Please click here for survey.
- You can still order your 2019-2020 Yearbook. Cost is $28.00 each. Middle School Students – Yearbook is included in the Middle School Fee. Yearbook We hope to have the yearbooks in by the middle of May.
- Lifetouch Spring Pictures – Picture proof sheets are in. If you would like to purchase your child’s picture you will have to visit mylifetouch.com and contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Portrait ID number and Access Code. Families that pre-paid for their child’s pictures have already been contacted.
- Box Tops is going digital to fit today’s families! The new and improved Box Tops mobile app uses state-of-the-art technology to scan your store receipt, find participating products and instantly add Box Tops to your school’s earnings online. Visit https://www.boxtops4education.com/ to download the app on your phone and select ST PIUS X SCHOOL, 7800 Halprin Drive, Norfolk, VA to help us earn money for education. Don’t forget to get the word out to your family and friends. Box Tops is even accepting pick up grocery order receipts, if you email them your receipt after pickup. Our school’s lifetime earnings from Box Tops: $19,728. This year earnings: $251.60. Please don’t forget to scan your receipts!
- Girl Scouts – Do you want to know more about Girl Scouts and what they do for fun, please see the attached flyer for more information.
- Google Meet – It is important that students use their school accounts only for official Google Meet sessions (classes, enrichment, Discovery, etc.). We understand the need for students to socialize outside of class, but they should not use their Google Meet sessions, or school accounts to do so. While we don’t want to discourage online socializing with friends outside of class, we ask that students use their personal account with parent/guardian permission. We also ask that students be attentive during online classes, that means students not laying down on their beds, playing with their phone, xbox, etc. It is important, if possible, to please designate a quiet space for students, such as a desk away from the tv, the kitchen table, or a bench where they are not distracted. We had some issues with some students still being in bed during online classes and being disrupted by playing on their phones or video games. We know some parents are going into work and the student may be left alone at home, we ask that you please talk to your child(ren) about how important it is to pay attention and not be disrupted during online classes. Thank you for all your help!
- School Gates – The gate at the end of the driveway between the school and the Parish Office is closed for all visitors. If you need to stop by the School Office during office hours, please use the driveway by the School Office. The gate by the School Office will be closed at night and weekends. Please remember by order of the Governor all school playgrounds are closed to the public.
- Fourth Quarter – The Diocese has stated that all schools should continue regularly grading procedures. Anticipate that we could have fewer grades this quarter. Attendance and assignments are required. Teachers will continue to take daily attendance, if your child is too ill to attend online classes, please follow school procedures for reporting that your child is ill. If you have computer / internet issues please contact the school office.
- High School Credit Courses – 7th and 8th grade students taking high school credit courses will be awarded the credit assuming successful completion of the course through our remote / digital learning platform through Quarter 4.
- Middle School Final Exams – Please see the letter from Mr. Zafra in reference to Finals. Middle School letter
- Uniform Changes – Effective 2020-2021 School Year, all uniforms will be required to have the updated school logo. Students will be able to continue to use the previous uniform with the previous school logo through the end of the 2019 – 2020 school year only.
2019-2020 BOYS UNIFORM REQUIREMENTS
2019-2020 GIRLS UNIFORM REQUIREMENTS
Uniforms with the new school logo can be purchased from Lands’ End (Preferred School Number: 900157769) and Flynn O’Hara.
Flynn O’Hara Website
- Business Office Matters:
Mom-Son Dance, field trips, and milk/lunch accounts – School refunds are now available for pick up in the School Office. Families with refunds have been contacted by email. *Please remember that Activity Fees paid during the year are nonrefundable.
- School Office Hours– Monday through Friday 8;00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. We can also be reached by email at email@example.com or by calling (757) 588-6171.
School Contracts – An electronic form-fill version of the contract is being emailed this week to families that have already re-registered. We ask that you please complete and submit your contract. For any questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Weidman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Financial Aid Awards for the 2020-2021 School Year – Round 1 – We are still awaiting details from the Finance Department at the Diocese regarding Round 1 tuition assistance awards. However, we remind you that Round 2 applications are presently being accepted through June 1, 2020.
- Re-registration for the 2020-2021 school year. Families can still re-register at the discounted fee of $40.00 per student. New enrollment registration fee is $75.00. Registration forms will not be accepted without payment. Registration Form ( Please fill out one form for each student)
We miss you!!
Stay safe, wash your hands and practice social distancing.
St. Pius X School community in accordance with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church commits itself to the education of the whole child in body, mind, and spirit.
All Things New in Christ.
-Pope Pius X