ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT COVID-19 AND SCHOOL UPDATES
Information and Resources
FROM OUR PRINCIPAL, MR. ZAFRA
Letter from Mr. Zafra – Parent Letter 11.5.2020
Quarter 1 HONORS LIST!
Congratulations! We are PIUS PROUD!
Click here for Honors List
ST. PIUS X CATHOLIC SCHOOL “HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS”
HOLIDAY SHOPPE FUNDRAISER, NOVEMBER 1-25
Would you like to get a head start on your holiday shopping?
This year has been more than a challenge for all of us. With your help you can make a difference for St. Pius X School by supporting our Holiday Shoppe. The school will get 40% of each purchase!!!
To order please register at forfundsonline.com and use ID# 64204.
For more details Holliday Shoppe Flyer
FAMILY NIGHT AT PANERA, TODAY, NOVEMBER 5
When ordering online please use Code PRFUND at checkout to ensure proceeds
go to St. Pius X Catholic School.
DRESS DOWN DAY, TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10
Donate $1 and wear Red, White and Blue to support our military families.
Proceeds will go to a military outreach program.
Dress Down Guidelines:
- Shirts must have sleeves and cover the belt/waistline. No plunging necklines, tank tops or
halter tops. T-shirts that advertise politics, alcohol, tobacco, contraband or other inappropriate
sayings are not permitted.
- Frayed, torn, ripped or unsightly jeans/pants/shorts or shoes and yoga pants are NOT
permitted to be worn.
- Short shorts (more than 4” above the knee), yoga/cycling shorts, and mini-skirts are NOT
- Cosmetics and jewelry are to be worn in moderation.
- The administration is the final judge on the suitability of attire and/or appearance.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
5 School Family Event at Panera. Please see flyer for more information
9 1st Quarter Awards
10 Virtual Parent/Teacher Conference from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Red, White, and Blue Dress Down Day
11 Veterans Day. Virtual Parent/Teacher Conference from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – No School for Students
16 Student Virtual of the Month Recognition for September / October
17 School Family Event at Chipotle. Please see flyer for more information
24 Prayer Service. NOON Dismissal
25-27 Thanksgiving Break
30 Classes Resume\
- Virtual Parent / Teacher Conferences – Conferences are scheduled for Tuesday, November 10 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Wednesday, November 11 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Sign-up is now open and will close on Sunday, November 8th. To sign-up please click here and locate your child(ren)’s teacher(s) and click on the link by the teacher’s name.
- Military Families Questionnaire – We ask our military families to please fill out the information on this link. We would like to recognize all of you for your service to our country.
- 8th Grade Families – Catholic High School will be holding a Virtual Q & A Session for St. Pius X School Families on Thursday, November 19 at 7:00 p.m. Please click here for details.
- School Family Events – St. Pius X School is partnering with several area restaurants for take out / delivery. Restaurants will donate a percentage of sales made by families and friends at a specific location back to St. Pius. X School. In addition to raising operating funds, this is an exceptional community building opportunity for the school.
– Chipotle, Tuesday, November 17. Chipotle English Flyer Chipotle Spanish Flyer
- Update Regarding the 2020-2021 TCBL Basketball Season – Link to update: TCBL Update Letter
- Guidelines for Virtual-Remote Learning – Link to Guidelines for Virtual-Remote Learning
- Lunch – A reminder, we ask all families to make sure that your student(s) bring their lunch to school and to please refrain from dropping off fast food lunch. If a student forgets their lunch an emergency lunch will be provided and a charge of $4.00 will be charged to the student’s family FACTS account.
- Flu Shots – If your child(ren) will be getting their flu shot this year, please notify
Mrs. Pile by email (email@example.com) before the student’s scheduled appointment. This will help us track students who may display symptoms.
- Support St. Pius X Catholic School – Help St. Pius X Catholic School earn FREE educational equipment or money for education.
– No more clipping! Please don’t forget download the Box Tops app and scan your receipts for St Pius X Catholic School this year. (School ID 126804) Box Tops App
– Can you believe Christmas is only 91 days away! If you are starting to think about your holiday shopping, please remember to designate St. Pius Catholic School as your charity of choice for AmazonSmile! Here is the link Amazon Smile
– Do you shop at Harris Teeter? If you do, please remember your VIC card needs to be re-linked to St. Pius X Catholic School (Code 8038) every year.
- Family Service Hours – All our St. Pius X families are required to do 20 service hours per year (10 hours single parents). Parent volunteers are needed to help with the Home & School Association, St. Pius X Athletic Association, Auction, and Christmas Bazaar. Throughout the year, various volunteer opportunities will be listed in the communique. We ask that each family keep track of their own hours using the Service Hours tab on FACTS SIS. Those unable to volunteer may opt to pay $5 per hour (or $100 total). All school volunteers must complete or have completed the Diocesan volunteer requirements. Visit http://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/ to complete the ScreeningOne application and register for VIRTUS training.
- Family Portal- During the 2020-2021 school year, the Family Portal and school website (www.stpiusxschoolva.org) will be your source of information. Parents will be able to view/print grades, homework, school and lunch calendars, lunch order forms, view resources, and update family information, emergency contacts, and transportation. All St. Pius X families are required to log into the Family Portal and ensure your child(ren) and family information (address, email, phone numbers, contacts) are up to date. This school year all families MUST have two emergency contacts (other than parents) on file. The school office, clinic, CARES and teachers will use the phone numbers and email provided in the Family Portal to contact you. Emergency/pick-up contacts in the Family Portal are what the school office will utilize in case of an emergency or pick-up. If an individual is not listed as a pick-up, the school will not release the student unless a parent notifies the school prior to release. To update your families information, log into the Family Portal, click on the Family tab on the left, click on the student’s (top center of the page), under Online Filing Cabinet / Web Forms, please update the child(ren)’s Family Demographic Form, Custodial Parent Form, Media Release Form, and Carpool Assignment..
Parents can login by clicking the “RenWeb” button on the school website (www.stpiusxschoolva.org). District Code is SPX-VA. New families will have to enter the District Code and click on “CreateNew ParentWeb Account.” Once logged in, families can update all the required information under “Family Information.”
To view video instructions to using the Family Portal with FACTS SIS please click here..
- Parent Alert and Emergency Closings – In our effort to improve communication between parents and school, St. Pius X School is using a telephone broadcast system called FACTS SIS Parent Alert that will enable school personnel to notify all households and parents by phone within minutes of an emergency or unplanned event that causes early dismissal, school cancellation, or a late start. St. Pius X School will report school closings/delays on television channels WTKR 3, WVEC 13, and WAVY 10. A Parent Alert message via phone will be issued and information will be posted on the school Facebook page. The Parent Alert will also be used to communicate general announcements or reminders. St. Pius X School does not follow Norfolk Public Schools.
- Diocese Digital Communication and Media Release Policy – The NEW form went home with students on Wednesday, September 9. Another form was sent home to families that have not completed and returned the form to school. Please complete and return by Friday, October 2. Release Form
- CARES Program – The program is designed to provide St. Pius X School students with a before and after school supervised care program. CARES Program fee is $6.00 per child per hour.
- Arrival Time – The school day begins at 8:00 a.m. This means the school doors will be locked at 8:00 a.m. promptly. Students who are not in their classroom or arrive past 8:00 a.m. must report to the school office accompanied by a parent/guardian to pick up a late slip. It is in your child’s best interest to arrive at school on time, so they can participate in daily learning activities. Our goal is to make every day a great day by making the most of every minute of the day! Please be on time!
- Picking- Up Students Early from School – To facilitate afternoon dismissal, we ask all parents / guardians who are checking out their student(s) early from school (for example, doctor’s appointments) to do so by 2:00 p.m. Parent/Guardian must have a picture ID with them.
- Crayola Recycle Program – We are excited to announce this year, St. Pius X Catholic School will be participating in the Crayola ColorCycle program! Through this program, students can collect and repurpose used markers. ColorCycle will accept all brands of plastic markers, not just Crayola markers. Crayola ColorCycle can potentially eliminate placing hundreds of tons of markers into landfills, and instead, repurposed the markers into alternative uses. You can learn more about ColorCycle environmental initiatives by visiting https://www.crayola.com/colorcycle. Collect your markers and we will let you know collection dates.
- School Uniforms – In response to input from a number of families regarding the updated uniforms that were introduced at the start of the 2019-2020 school year, we will continue to view the 2020-2021 school year as a transition year for the updated uniform. We know this is a difficult time financially and will make this adjustment. As we did last year, the only items required by families to purchase would be the updated P.E. gym shirt and P.E. gym shorts. Although we have some of the older uniforms available for purchase, that stock is limited. If your current uniform is tattered, stained, ripped or no longer fits properly, you would need to purchase used or new replacements.
BOYS EVERY DAY UNIFORM GUIDELINES
GIRLS EVERY DAY UNIFORM GUIDELINES
Uniforms with the new school logo can be purchased from Lands’ End (Preferred School Number: 900157769) and Flynn O’Hara.
Flynn O’Hara Website
St. Pius X School community in accordance with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church commits itself to the education of the whole child in body, mind, and spirit.
All Things New in Christ.
-Pope Pius X