ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT COVID-19 AND SCHOOL UPDATES
Information and Resources
PIRATES’ GOLD RAFFLE TICKETS
St. Pius X Families: if you are unable to sell your raffle tickets, please return them to the School Office by Friday, October 16. We have a number of families looking to sell more tickets.
Due to COVID-19 and limiting what and who comes in the school we are asking parents to please not bring in cupcakes, cakes, pizza, etc. to the school for their child’s birthday.
FROM OUR PRINCIPAL, MR. ZAFRA
Letter from Mr. Zafra – Letter dated 10.1.2020
Pirates’ Gold Raffle Letter
2020 Raffle Official Rules
2020 Raffle Instructions
2020 Prizes – Sell Tickets Win Prizes
Initial book(s) went home on Friday, September 4. Please don’t forget to fill out the google form, Pirates’ Gold Raffle Ticket Conformation Receipt.. Students that received a Pirates’ Gold Raffle t-shirt last year (2019-2020) are authorized to wear their t-shirt with uniform bottoms (pants, shorts, skort, or PE bottoms ONLY if PE is scheduled for that day) on Fridays through October 30, 2020.
Guidelines for Virtual-Remote Learning. Link to Guidelines for Virtual-Remote Learning
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
19-31 School Family Event at Royal Chocolate. Please see flyer for more information
21 Lifetouch Picture Day for Virtual Students, 8th Grade Graduation Pictures, and Retakes
22 School Family Event at MOD Pizza. Please see flyer for more information
23 End of 1st Quarter. School and CARES are closed
28 1:30 p.m. Early Dismissal for Students
30 Report Cards Released via FACTS SIS. End of Pirates’ Gold Raffle Sales. Halloween Celebration. Dress Down Day Orange / Black
1 School Family Event at Royal Chocolate. Please see flyer for more information
2 Winter Uniform in effect. All Souls Day!
3 Election Day
4 1:30 p.m. Early Dismissal for Students
8 School Family Event at Panera. Please see flyer for more information
9 1st Quarter Awards
10 Virtual Parent/Teacher Conference from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
11 Veterans Day. Virtual Parent/Teacher Conference from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. – No School for Students
16 Student Virtual of the Month Recognition for September / October
17 School Family Event at Chipotle. Please see flyer for more information
18 1:30 p.m. Early Dismissal for Student
24 Prayer Service. NOON Dismissal
25-27 Thanksgiving Break
30 Classes Resume
- Lifetouch Individual Picture Day for Virtual Students / 8th Grade Graduation Gown Pictures and Picture Retake Day – Picture Day is Wednesday, October 21, 2020. In-person students that wish to RETAKE their picture, must sign up and return their original picture package to the school. Students in K-8th grade must wear their Church uniform. Sunday Best for PK. 8th grade student need bring their graduation gown with them. You can order your pictures at mylifetouch. Use Picture ID: EVTTR73K4. Please click here to sign up.
- 8th Grade Families – Catholic High School will be holding a Virtual Q&A Session for St. Pius X School students on Thursday, November 19 at 7:00 p.m. Flyer and link will be forwarded by email once received from Catholic High School.
- Middle School STEM – Mrs. Pitton’s Science classes are in need of STEM materials. If you can donate, please drop the materials during morning drop-off. Materials needed:
Paper towel rollsToilet paper rollsTape in any formKleenex boxesCraft sticksRubber bandsPlastic cupsStringYarnCardboardConstruction paper
- Halloween Celebration – Home and School is in need of volunteers to help assemble treat bags and STEM activity kits, October 26-28. If you would like to volunteer please click here.
THANK YOU St. Pius X School Families for the generous donations towards our Halloween Celebration! If you would like to donate candy and SLIME ingredients please click here.
- Home and School – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED to help with the Pirates’ Gold Raffle. Volunteers are needed to:
(1) Count Tickets and Money or
(2) Assemble Student Prizes
Please click on the link below for more information on dates and times.https://www.signupgenius.com/
- School Family Events – St. Pius X School is partnering with several area restaurants for take out / delivery. Restaurants will donate a percentage of sales made by families and friends at a specific location back to St. Pius. X School. In addition to raising operating funds, this is an exceptional community building opportunity for the school.
– MOD Pizza at the Lake Wright Premium Outlet location on Thursday, October 22. Please bring this flyer with you or mention St. Pius X Catholic School at pick-up. MOD Pizza will donate 20% of your bill!
– Panera, Thursday, November 5 (Norfolk and Virginia Beach locations). Panera Norfolk Flyer Panera VA Beach Flyer
– Chipotle, Tuesday, November 17. Chipotle English Flyer Chipotle Spanish Flyer
- Update Regarding the 2020-2021 TCBL Basketball Season – Link to update: TCBL Update Letter
- Lunch – A reminder, we ask all families to make sure that your student(s) bring their lunch to school and to please refrain from dropping off fast food lunch. If a student forgets their lunch an emergency lunch will be provided and a charge of $4.00 will be charged to the student’s family FACTS account.
- Flu Shots – If your child(ren) will be getting their flu shot this year, please notify
Mrs. Pile by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the student’s scheduled appointment. This will help us track students who may display symptoms.
- Support St. Pius X Catholic School – Help St. Pius X Catholic School earn FREE educational equipment or money for education.
– No more clipping! Please don’t forget download the Box Tops app and scan your receipts for St Pius X Catholic School this year. (School ID 126804) Box Tops App
– Can you believe Christmas is only 91 days away! If you are starting to think about your holiday shopping, please remember to designate St. Pius Catholic School as your charity of choice for AmazonSmile! Here is the link Amazon Smile
– Do you shop at Harris Teeter? If you do, please remember your VIC card needs to be re-linked to St. Pius X Catholic School (Code 8038) every year.
- Family Service Hours – All our St. Pius X families are required to do 20 service hours per year (10 hours single parents). Parent volunteers are needed to help with the Home & School Association, St. Pius X Athletic Association, Auction, and Christmas Bazaar. Throughout the year, various volunteer opportunities will be listed in the communique. We ask that each family keep track of their own hours using the Service Hours tab on FACTS SIS. Those unable to volunteer may opt to pay $5 per hour (or $100 total). All school volunteers must complete or have completed the Diocesan volunteer requirements. Visit http://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/ to complete the ScreeningOne application and register for VIRTUS training.
- Family Portal- During the 2020-2021 school year, the Family Portal and school website (www.stpiusxschoolva.org) will be your source of information. Parents will be able to view/print grades, homework, school and lunch calendars, lunch order forms, view resources, and update family information, emergency contacts, and transportation. All St. Pius X families are required to log into the Family Portal and ensure your child(ren) and family information (address, email, phone numbers, contacts) are up to date. This school year all families MUST have two emergency contacts (other than parents) on file. The school office, clinic, CARES and teachers will use the phone numbers and email provided in the Family Portal to contact you. Emergency/pick-up contacts in the Family Portal are what the school office will utilize in case of an emergency or pick-up. If an individual is not listed as a pick-up, the school will not release the student unless a parent notifies the school prior to release. To update your families information, log into the Family Portal, click on the Family tab on the left, click on the student’s (top center of the page), under Online Filing Cabinet / Web Forms, please update the child(ren)’s Family Demographic Form, Custodial Parent Form, Media Release Form, and Carpool Assignment..
Parents can login by clicking the “RenWeb” button on the school website (www.stpiusxschoolva.org). District Code is SPX-VA. New families will have to enter the District Code and click on “CreateNew ParentWeb Account.” Once logged in, families can update all the required information under “Family Information.”
To view video instructions to using the Family Portal with FACTS SIS please click here..
- Parent Alert and Emergency Closings – In our effort to improve communication between parents and school, St. Pius X School is using a telephone broadcast system called FACTS SIS Parent Alert that will enable school personnel to notify all households and parents by phone within minutes of an emergency or unplanned event that causes early dismissal, school cancellation, or a late start. St. Pius X School will report school closings/delays on television channels WTKR 3, WVEC 13, and WAVY 10. A Parent Alert message via phone will be issued and information will be posted on the school Facebook page. The Parent Alert will also be used to communicate general announcements or reminders. St. Pius X School does not follow Norfolk Public Schools.
- Diocese Digital Communication and Media Release Policy – The NEW form went home with students on Wednesday, September 9. Another form was sent home to families that have not completed and returned the form to school. Please complete and return by Friday, October 2. Release Form
- CARES Program – The program is designed to provide St. Pius X School students with a before and after school supervised care program. CARES Program fee is $6.00 per child per hour.
- Arrival Time – The school day begins at 8:00 a.m. This means the school doors will be locked at 8:00 a.m. promptly. Students who are not in their classroom or arrive past 8:00 a.m. must report to the school office accompanied by a parent/guardian to pick up a late slip. It is in your child’s best interest to arrive at school on time, so they can participate in daily learning activities. Our goal is to make every day a great day by making the most of every minute of the day! Please be on time!
- Picking- Up Students Early from School – To facilitate afternoon dismissal, we ask all parents / guardians who are checking out their student(s) early from school (for example, doctor’s appointments) to do so by 2:00 p.m. Parent/Guardian must have a picture ID with them.
- Crayola Recycle Program – We are excited to announce this year, St. Pius X Catholic School will be participating in the Crayola ColorCycle program! Through this program, students can collect and repurpose used markers. ColorCycle will accept all brands of plastic markers, not just Crayola markers. Crayola ColorCycle can potentially eliminate placing hundreds of tons of markers into landfills, and instead, repurposed the markers into alternative uses. You can learn more about ColorCycle environmental initiatives by visiting https://www.crayola.com/colorcycle. Collect your markers and we will let you know collection dates.
- School Uniforms – In response to input from a number of families regarding the updated uniforms that were introduced at the start of the 2019-2020 school year, we will continue to view the 2020-2021 school year as a transition year for the updated uniform. We know this is a difficult time financially and will make this adjustment. As we did last year, the only items required by families to purchase would be the updated P.E. gym shirt and P.E. gym shorts. Although we have some of the older uniforms available for purchase, that stock is limited. If your current uniform is tattered, stained, ripped or no longer fits properly, you would need to purchase used or new replacements.
BOYS EVERY DAY UNIFORM GUIDELINES
GIRLS EVERY DAY UNIFORM GUIDELINES
Uniforms with the new school logo can be purchased from Lands’ End (Preferred School Number: 900157769) and Flynn O’Hara.
Flynn O’Hara Website
St. Pius X School community in accordance with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church commits itself to the education of the whole child in body, mind, and spirit.
All Things New in Christ.
-Pope Pius X