ANNOUNCEMENTS ABOUT COVID-19 AND SCHOOL UPDATES
Information and Resources
FROM OUR PRINCIPAL, MR. ZAFRA
Virtual Back to School Night is tonight, Thursday, September 3 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Welcome Back to School Video from Mr. Zafra
Home and School Video
Back to School Night Letter
Please review the available slots by grade on the link below to sign up to meet with your child’s teacher(s).
Virtual Back to School Night Sign Up
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
3 Virtual Back to School Night
4 Pirates’ Gold Raffle Kick-Off Event
7 Labor Day – No School. CARES will be closed
9 Lifetouch Individual Pictures (Students in grades K-8 must wear their Church Uniform. PK Sunday Best
16 1:30 p.m. Early Dismissal for Students
25 1st Quarter Interim
30 1:30 p.m. Early Dismissal for Students
- FACTS Management and your Family Portal – FACTS Management and FACTS SIS are now one. All financial payments will now be made in FACTS SIS (Family Portal). As of Wednesday, September 2 the only way families can access any billing information is by logging into the Family Portal, and then clicking on the new Financial link on the left side menu.Please click here to see how to access your account. For any questions please contact Mrs. Weidman at email@example.com or call the school office at (757) 588-6171.
- Pirates’ Gold Raffle – Our Pirates’ Gold Fall Raffle returns this fall. We ask each family to sell one book of 15 tickets. Each ticket costs $10 and gives the purchaser 30 chances to win cash during the month of November. Daily prizes range from $100 up to the grand prize of $1000 on the last day. We ask all families and all faculty and staff members to sell one book of 15, but your family may sell additional books to get more chances at raffles and other milestone goals. Your initial ticket book will go home on Friday, September 4. A google form will also be email to families, please don’t forget to fill out your form. Students that received a Pirates’ Gold Raffle t-shirt last year (2019-2020) are authorized to wear their t-shirt with uniform bottoms (pants, shorts, skort, or PE bottoms ONLY if PE is scheduled for that day) on Fridays starting September 4 through October 30, 2020.
- Picture Day – Student pictures will be taken on Wednesday, September 9. To order before Picture Day, please go to mylifetouch.com and enter code: EVT3TVC4M. Families that do not pre-order, a picture proof sheet will be sent home after Picture Day. Students in grades K-8th must wear their church uniforms and Sunday Best for EL, JK students.
- Department of Social Services Child Registration Form – All students must have this form on file whether they attend the C.A.R.E.S. program or not. Please make sure all addresses include the city and zip code and form is returned by Monday, August 31. Social Services Form
- Parent Alert and Emergency Closings – In our effort to improve communication between parents and school, St. Pius X School is using a telephone broadcast system called FACTS SIS Parent Alert that will enable school personnel to notify all households and parents by phone within minutes of an emergency or unplanned event that causes early dismissal, school cancellation, or a late start. St. Pius X School will report school closings/delays on television channels WTKR 3, WVEC 13, and WAVY 10. A Parent Alert message via phone will be issued and information will be posted on the school Facebook page. The Parent Alert will also be used to communicate general announcements or reminders. St. Pius X School does not follow Norfolk Public Schools.
- Arrival Time – The school day begins at 8:00 a.m. This means the school doors will be locked at 8:00 a.m. promptly. Students who are not in their classroom or arrive past 8:00 a.m. must report to the school office accompanied by a parent/guardian to pick up a late slip. It is in your child’s best interest to arrive at school on time, so they can participate in daily learning activities. Our goal is to make every day a great day by making the most of every minute of the day! Please be on time!
- Picking- Up Students Early from School – To facilitate afternoon dismissal, we ask all parents / guardians who are checking out their student(s) early from school (for example, doctor’s appointments) to do so by 2:00 p.m. Parent/Guardian must have a picture ID with them.
- Family Service Hours – All our St. Pius X families are required to do at least 20 service hours per year (10 hours single parents). Parent volunteers are needed to help with the Home & School Association, St. Pius X Athletic Association, Auction, and Christmas Bazaar. Throughout the year, various volunteer opportunities will be listed in the communique. We ask that each family keep track of their own hours using the Service Hours tab on FACTS SIS. Those unable to volunteer may opt to pay $5 per hour (or $100 total). All school volunteers must complete or have completed the Diocesan volunteer requirements. Visit http://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/ to complete the ScreeningOne application and register for VIRTUS training.
- Acknowledgment of Symptoms and Risk Form – Reminder to ALL St. Pius X Catholic School Families, Faculty and Staff, the school is required to have your Acknowledgment of Symptoms and Risk Form before the start of the school year (Monday, August 24). Please read, acknowledge and voluntarily assume the aforementioned risk and agree that you and everyone in your household will comply with the COVID-19 related precautionary measures set in place at schools in the Catholic Diocese of Richmond. To access the form, please click here.
- Crayola Recycle Program – We are excited to announce this year, St. Pius X Catholic School will be participating in the Crayola ColorCycle program! Through this program, students can collect and repurpose used markers. ColorCycle will accept all brands of plastic markers, not just Crayola markers. Crayola ColorCycle can potentially eliminate placing hundreds of tons of markers into landfills, and instead, repurposed the markers into alternative uses. You can learn more about ColorCycle environmental initiatives by visiting https://www.crayola.com/colorcycle. Collect your markers and we will let you know collection dates.
- Family Portal- During the 2020-2021 school year, the Family Portal and school website (www.stpiusxschoolva.org) will be your source of information. Parents will be able to view/print grades, homework, school and lunch calendars, lunch order forms, view resources, and update family information, emergency contacts, and transportation. All St. Pius X families are required to log into the Family Portal and ensure your child(ren) and family information (address, email, phone numbers, contacts) are up to date. This school year all families MUST have two emergency contacts (other than parents) on file. The school office, clinic, CARES and teachers will use the phone numbers and email provided in the Family Portal to contact you. Emergency/pick-up contacts in the Family Portal are what the school office will utilize in case of an emergency or pick-up. If an individual is not listed as a pick-up, the school will not release the student unless a parent notifies the school prior to release. To update your families information, log into the Family Portal, click on the Family tab on the left, click on the student’s (top center of the page), under Online Filing Cabinet / Web Forms, please update the child(ren)’s Family Demographic Form, Custodial Parent Form, Media Release Form, and Carpool Assignment..
Parents can login by clicking the “RenWeb” button on the school website (www.stpiusxschoolva.org). District Code is SPX-VA. New families will have to enter the District Code and click on “CreateNew ParentWeb Account.” Once logged in, families can update all the required information under “Family Information.”
To view video instructions to using the Family Portal with FACTS SIS please click here..
- Support St. Pius X Catholic School – Help St. Pius X Catholic School earn FREE educational equipment or money for education. To see how you can help click here.
Please don’t forget to download the Box Tops app and scan your receipts for St. Pius X Catholic School this year.
Do you shop at Harris Teeter? If you do, please remember your VIC card needs to be re-linked to St. Pius X Catholic School (Code 8038) every year.
- School Uniforms – In response to input from a number of families regarding the updated uniforms that were introduced at the start of the 2019-2020 school year, we will continue to view the 2020-2021 school year as a transition year for the updated uniform. We know this is a difficult time financially and will make this adjustment. As we did last year, the only items required by families to purchase would be the updated P.E. gym shirt and P.E. gym shorts. Although we have some of the older uniforms available for purchase, that stock is limited. If your current uniform is tattered, stained, ripped or no longer fits properly, you would need to purchase used or new replacements.
BOYS EVERY DAY UNIFORM GUIDELINES
GIRLS EVERY DAY UNIFORM GUIDELINES
Uniforms with the new school logo can be purchased from Lands’ End (Preferred School Number: 900157769) and Flynn O’Hara.
Flynn O’Hara Website
St. Pius X School community in accordance with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church commits itself to the education of the whole child in body, mind, and spirit.
All Things New in Christ.
-Pope Pius X